Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sunday - July 3, 2011 Gaudi's Garden

The above plants are called "4:00 o'clock." They open in the afternoon and close at night and during most of the day. Little black seeds form at the base of the flowers and they are spreading to other parts of my garden. I'm not sure if the birds scatter them of is they just self-seed.
These are Asian Lilies. I have various colors and they make good cut flowers. They come back every year and are multiplying.
I only have 2 tomato plants but you can see that they have really spread out. I think the variety is "Big Boy" but I'm not sure. We have been eating our tomatoes for a few weeks and there are a lot more on the plants. The trick is to pick them when they are ripe and before the birds get to them. So far, the tomatoes have been on the small size but they are very tasty.
This is mostly "catnip" and some flat leaf parsley. I bring a bunch of the catnip in the house and the cats get stoned on it. I plan to dry some when I get around to it.
I have 3 pepper plants, red, yellow and green. I have been picking peppers for a while now and the plants are still loaded. It takes a while before they change from green to red/yellow.
This picture shows a variety of flowers including Canna, Asian Lily's, Gladiolas, Papyrus, etc.
The bush in back of the fountain is a false Indigo plant. You can also see a few pots full of elephant ears plus various herbs along the wall including basil, sage, lavender and mint.

A close-up of the above with a small fig tree and peonies on the other side of the wall.

Annual hibiscus in the front (friends from Staunton, Il sent me this plant about 18 months ago and I have since divided it into 3 different pots. I bring them inside when it gets cold.) The two black pots to the left contain squash. The yellow flowers are day Lilies and the plants with the long thin leaves are Crinum lilies.

Close up of a Crinum lily bloom. I have several different kinds of Crinums in my garden and the flower stalk can get to 6 feet tall. The vine on the brick wall is Jasmine. It was covered with small white flowers this spring. The white flowers below are perennial hibiscus and to the right of this plant is a rose bush with a single red bloom.

Posted by Picasa
It looks like I can't add any more pictures so I better wrap this up and try to send it. It has been very hot here during the entire month of June with 90 degree temperatures every day. I have to water the containers at least once a day and the other stuff gets watered at least every other day. The July forecast is for more of the same but there is some chance of rain next week.

7 comments:

  1. I enjoy this so much, Bern!! YOU are the best
    at this. You could make coffee table books
    and sell them at Garden Centers or any book store
    because you really show us and answer questions
    we have... without our getting to ask. Your
    photography is always top-notch and we all love
    to hear about those spoiled kitties of yours.
    Their own capnip garden... with more coming all the time. Now, THAT'S living a cat's life!!

    Thank you so much for sharing. I love it!
    dottie

    ReplyDelete
  2. dad, i think you missed your calling as a botanist!
    love your garden. can you teach me how to grow red peppers?
    it's hot here again today - 100. sigh. think i'm gonna fight off the neighborhood brats for the community pool. i need one of my own :(
    wish i was able to visit you and swim in the pool.
    take care
    love Tan

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH you are making miss the days I had time to garden! Mine is so sad these days....I truly miss you and hope each day brings you a new joy! Drop a line some time!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bernie- I love your blog. I also have gardening likes and tell you do too. Get at that greenhouse so you can get those flowers back. Your place looks nice. That lake behind you with the free water is the best. We too have hi 80-low 90. I have to admit that there may be truth to global warming.....Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed these pictures of the flowers so much as we have flowers and garden and enjoy so much.
    I have monkey trees and lots of hosta's and roses.
    In garden we have tomatoes, peppers, green beans, etc. This blog is so neat and much nicer than before. Wish I knew how to do this. So glad you are feeling much better. Have a happy 4th of July. Best wishes...Dee and Dale

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bernie, everything looks good and you're lucky to keep it all going in this heat. It sure smells like smoke today here, and I hope the woods aren't burning too close. Have a fun holiday & swim up a storm! See you at Drew, Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and I never thought I would ever get a cure. This made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship. He broke up with me when he found out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on a Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got cured and let her contact details, so I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give it a try too and use his herbal medicine. That was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can Cure all Neuromuscular Diseases,Hiv/Aids,Hsv,Cancers all types with his natural herbal medicines. (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or visit his website on www.drituaherbalcenter.com)

    ReplyDelete