Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sunday June 26, 2011

I'm trying some new ways to update my blog and I'm not sure how well this will work. My last post was somewhat of a mess and I couldn't really control what pictures were going where. Hopefully, this will be a little better.
I wanted to start with another picture of Mrs. Mimm's birthday lunch. She is the one on my left. We had the lunch at a Babtist Church that serves lunch every day and the food was great! We had soup, salad, chicken fried steak, ribs, fried chicken, mac & cheese, varius cooked greens and other vegatibles plus peach cobler, bananna pudding and pie. I think the entire meal cost around $10.00 and ice tea & coffee was also included. As you can see from the picture, the dining room seats a lot of people. I plan to go back!

I also wanted to include a few more pictures of the garage sale we had on June 11. I don't know how many people showed up but we sure tied up traffic on our road for several hours! It was a lot of work but we got rid of a bunch of stuff and even made some money.
Not only did we have stuff all over the garage, but the sale also spilled out into the driveway.
We didn't know most of the people who stopped by but everyone seemed to have a good time.

There were a ton of books for sale and most of them were priced from $.50 - $1.00. There were a bunch of cook books even though Terry & I gave the local library over 100 cook books last year for one of their sales. I had all of my mother's cook books plus my collection. I hated to give them up but I really didn't need them and they were just taking up space. We did keep the ones that we still use plus some that I wasn't ready to part with. We still have a ton of other books including books by several of my favorite authors that I am still collecting.
A friend of mine that trains service dogs saw my last email and said she was sorry that she had missed our sale. Had I thought about it, I could have donated a bunch of stuff to her charatible organization since she has auctions now and then to raise money. Sorry, Jen, I will remember you the next time we have a sale or want to get rid of some stuff.

This is a picture of Sewell & Barbara Gelberd who did a ton of work on our garage sale and also added some of their things to the sale. Sewell is also helping me sell some other stuff on eBay and we plan to bring some other pieces to an auction. Sewell is a wiz on eBay and he also knows the auction world. I've been to a few with him and really enjoyed the experience.
This is what was left after the sale. Sewell arranged for the Kidney Foundation to pick everything up and now we can put our cars back in the garage. Again, Jen, I should have thought of you before making arrangements with the Kidney Foundation to pick up this stuff.
I have some other pictures to post and another update from the last week or so but I think I stop this here before I screw it up and loose it. So far, this new way of writing my blog has been much easier and quicker than what I was doing before and if I can send it I will try to write another update today.
Before I forget it again, take a look at the banner on the right side of my blog on the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. My daughter, Tana, has participated in this event for the last two years and last year she dedicated her walk to my cure for cancer. Her and her team, "Bandidits for Boobies" raised over $19,000 for this great cause and Tana is planning to collect money and walk again this year. However, she needs at least $1,000 to qualify for the walk and she is not quite there yet. Soooo, if you will, please donate to the cause by clicking on the banner and using your credit card. They have made it very simple. Please also read what Tana has written about her walk last year. I'm proud of her!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Yep, this came through really nice.
    I was reading words and photos at the same time.

    I too wish I could have come to your garage sale... not that I need another book either but well, no telling what I'd have come home with, huh?!

    I went to the big farmers market yesterday and came home with peaches, just picked tomatoes, squash, watermelon and FIVE doz. ears of corn!!

    So I spent the rest of the day shucking, silking and getting my corn ready for the freezer. Ain't life fun?!

    You keep on enjoying yourself every day.
    And keep me on your blog list.
    love, anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was a great garage sale and I know the feeling of the stuff taking over. We're all collectors and you were wise enough to get rid of some. I'm sure you feel better and freer and the donations are a help too. Good to have friends to help also! See you at the pool, Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bernie, I hope you didn't sell that hat "Bernie"! That is the best hat! I remember you bringing that fish in and swinging it around the room. What great times!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete