Monday, December 17, 2012

Sunday - December 16, 2012

It has been over a year since my last entry in this blog (9-11-2011) and a great deal has happened.  Since this is my "beating cancer blog" the first thing I should say is that I am still cancer free!  It has been just over 3 years since I first found out that I had esophageal cancer and it will be 3 years since my cancer surgery in April 2010.  I last saw my doctors in Charleston in September and all my tests came out great!  It has also been 3 years since I last drank alcohol. I have gained a little weight lately and I now weigh about 180 pounds, about 90 pounds less than I weighed in 2010.

I have had pneumonia a few times during the last three years.  I was really sick in January and had to go to the ER.  Acid reflux is a side effect of the surgery I had and if I not very careful, I sometimes breath the junk from my stomach into my lungs while I am sleeping.  It's called aspirated pneumonia. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to get rid of the infection I'm afraid that I am becoming immune to the antibiotics.  However, I have a great doctor and he has been able to keep on top of this problem.  The biggest problem is that I can't go to the gym and exercise when I'm sick and this makes me weak and it takes a while to build back to my normal activity level.  This is also the reason I have gained a few pounds lately since I am just getting over a round of pneumonia/bronchitis.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment