Saturday, February 5, 2011

Saturday 2-5-11









































I'm going to start this tonight and try to finish and post it tomorrow before the Superbowl. I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to update my blog but I have been having some health problems again and haven't been up to writing. I'm feeling much better now and have started exercising again this week. I am really out of shape!
Let's see, where to start--? I sent out my last blog on January 20 and during the following week, I went to my doctor here in Columbia almost every day for shots to combat the pneumonia that I couldn't seem to shake. On the 26th, I had a complete physical and I was pronounced free of pneumonia. My blood work and other test also came out fine. On Friday, January 28, Terry and I again went to Charleston so I could have my two week 'throat stretching' operation. Again, the doctor used very little sedation and I was awake for the entire procedure. I have to go back again this Friday, February 11, for another session and I'm uncertain if they will sedate me or not. I'm still not sure if I can do the procedure myself but I think I will soon have the chance to try!

Since writing the above, the Steelers got beat in the Superbowl (what a shame) and it is again time to go to bed. I have a busy week coming up with several meetings plus our Orchid Show and a Camellia Show this weekend. I am supposed to participate in both shows so things should become a little stressful this weekend. I also plan to exercise tomorrow and Wednesday so I have to be cautious not to over extend myself and get sick again. Terry and I also plan to visit our tax accountant on Wednesday and give him all the information required to file our 2010 returns. Fortunately, Terry has done all the work and compiled a large stack of paper which hopefully contains all the necessary information. I didn't do much to help her with this project and I sure am glad she is so organized and willing to take on this job!

I am including some more pictures of our cats including some of them sleeping in their beds and playing on a new contraption we bought for them. Chicky is a real dare devil and isn't afraid of climbing and getting into trouble. Charlotte is a little more dignified but likes to play when she thinks we aren't watching.
We have had a lot of very cold weather here but during the last few days, it warmed up a bit and we got about 3 inches of rain (which we really needed!) The flowers are really starting to come out of the ground now and the dogwoods are in full bud. I'll try to send some more pictures next week and I think I also promised you some additional pictures of our cruise. (We are now thinking about taking another cruise in early fall and visiting the Greek Islands with a few days stop in Barcelona to see some of the Antonio Gaudi' works. More about this later.)
Thanks for the comments and please keep them coming.

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are over pneumonia. Enjoyed your pictures; Chicky & Charlotte must give you hours of pleasure. We were for the Steelers too. Hang in there and take care.
    May this new year bring you renewed health and strength. Dale & Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernie, thanks so much for including me in your blog.You look good,but I know its a struggle. I too had a struggle as I got run down caring for Rod, but am much better after 2 Z-Packs, inhalers etc. But most of all more rest due to hiring more help. What a difference this has made. I now feel more like myself. Dec. and Jan. were rough months due to my not feeling well and Rod being much worse. HE is now doing much better but of course the dementia is about the same. One just learns to deal with it, by comforting him etc. HE is so special. WE are looking forward to spring.
    I love the photos of your cats. I love animals and would love to have one, but cannot take on anymore responsibilities at the moment.
    Take Care, God bless and keep in touch.
    Nancy Humphreys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bernie! I'm happy to hear you got over your pneumonia. That can really be a bear. I'm sure you've heard about the miserable weather we've been getting here in the NE. Last Thursday, Carmen slipped on some ice in our driveway, broke the 2 bones in her lower left leg, dislocated her ankle and also broke the small bones in her foot. She had surgery on Friday afternoon to put in plates, screws and braces. She has to have another surgery in a couple weeks to remove the brace holding her foot bones in place, but the plates in her leg will stay permanently. She may be getting out of the hospital today. So now I have my hands full with 2 invalids! :-) You might remember that we have my mom living with us for the last 2-1/2 years. Unfortunately, she is blind, wheelchair bound, diabetic and has dementia. Carmen is going to be out of commission for the next 12 weeks, so it will be a most interesting and challenging spring for me. Take care!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Bernie you must pace yourself & not do too much. Glad to see you & Nelson together after such a long time. Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE those cats.
    I'm so glad you have your own private zoo
    at home... in those cats!!!

    Yep, you're looking gooooood!!
    Keep it up.

    I take my vacations just looking at your
    cruise pictures. Beautiful.

    Keep on doing good. love, dottie

    ReplyDelete
  6. dad,
    are you crashing scott's cruise??
    glad you're feeling better!
    love Tan

    ReplyDelete